I’ve just posted an update to the website for the Lewes Passion Play. Editing HTML for a news panel has served the purpose for several years, but with a performance in less than three months there will be more going on. So I wanted to embed a blog feed, as this will enable more people to update the news feed directly. Preferably a Google Blogger blog as this is easier for people to access and at least one potential contributor already uses Google.
Quite a palaver and one or two dead ends. For a start I didn’t want to go down the <iframe> route and embed the entire blog page, because that would confusingly duplicate menu items and links, required for the free-standing blog.
So I started with WordPress, since that’s where this blog is. And WordPress does have a built-in embed code generator. But here I learned the difference between a timeline and a full embed. WP delivers just the first part of a blog post; readers have to click through in order to get the whole post. So, sorry, not what I wanted.
Online reports suggested using Tumblr. It looked promising, but in the end the interface didn’t look easily useable for non-specialists (my potential contributors). And I got into a bind, because I lost the password and (unlike most similar sites) Tumblr won’t just send a reset link to the email they have on record for the account.